Sunday, July 23, 2006

State of the garden

While the garden does not look as lush as it once did, I'm still enjoying its vegetables—chard, carrots, and cherry tomatoes. The yellow wax beans are producing a few beans as a second crop, and the green pole beans look like they might produce a second crop, too. I don't spend much energy or time "tending" the garden. I water it in the evening, and that's it.


I have learned that chard keeps producing. I cut off leaves as I want to eat them, and more grow in their place.

The tomato plant is sickly looking, and something appears to have eaten the top of it. However, it is still producing tomatoes quite abundantly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss having a garden and your account brings back memories. Chard is a great because it is not ready all at once like many crops. Our life is changing with our daughter off at college so our fruit trees may get more attention and maybe a vegetable garden will appear again.

Anonymous said...

I miss having a garden and your account brings back memories. Chard is a great because it is not ready all at once like many crops. Our life is changing with our daughter off at college so our fruit trees may get more attention and maybe a vegetable garden will appear again.

Janice Bakke said...

I'm sure that is different for you--and probably a little sad--to have your daughter away at college.

I'll keep checking your site to see how the gardening progresses!

Today I pulled out the tomato plant and pole beans and staked up a volunteer tomato plant that has pear-shaped green tomatoes on it.

Now to figure out what to plant next. The chard is still producing, there are some carrots left, and the wax beans still have a few beans.