Sunday, March 05, 2006

A frame

This afternoon I asked the landlord to have a look at the foundation and see what he thought. He didn't seem worried about it. He just asked that I don't plant right up against it or plant anything with destructive roots. He also loaned me his heavy duty pruning shears so I could cut out some of the larger roots.

So this afternoon I did more digging, cutting out of roots, and disposal of random concrete chunks, along with two crumpled Schlitz beer cans. I also nailed together the wood frame.


Now I need to decide how many more of the small rocks to try sift out and what "recipe" to use for the soil. I think I'll consult Jeavons's book How to Grow More Vegetables tonight, in addition to Bartholomew's recommendations.

Rain is in the forecast, again, for tomorrow, but maybe by the middle of the week I shall have the square ready for planting.

No comments: